BEFORE COMPLETING ANY PART OF YOUR APPLICATION READ THESE DIRECTIONS :
1. NAME: Print your name in the boxes. Be sure to leave a blank box between your first and middle names. If your current name is different from that which appears on your transcript(s) or other records, please provide in space for other names. Please print your name as you wish it to appear on your certificate. Titles and credentials are permitted.
2. ADDRESS: You may list either your home or business mailing address. It should be one at which you will receive mail. If your address changes after submitting your application, please notify our office promptly by email.
3. TELEPHONE AND FAX NUMBER, E-MAIL ADDRESS: List both your home/cell and business numbers. If you do not currently have a phone, list a number where you may receive messages. An email address is critical to receiving information from the academy.
– Steps 4-6 are optional and will be used for statistical purposes only.
4. GENDER: Check the appropriate box.
5. DATE OF BIRTH: List the month and year you were born.
6. ETHNIC BACKGROUND: Check the appropriate box.
7. EDUCATIONAL/TRAINING REQUIRED FOR OPTIONS: Indicate the masters and postmaster’s degree(s) which you have received. Give month and year the degree was awarded and the name and address of the institution awarding the degree.
8. PROGRAM ACCREDITATION INFORMATION
9. ENTRY OPTIONS FOR NCA APPLICANTS: Check the appropriate box. Select one of four entry options to certification. (see options listed below)
OPTIONS FOR CERTIFICATION
The National Credentialing Academy provides applicants with a set of entry options that can be used to become a recognized Certified Family Therapist. Many of the options can be efficiently processed.
State Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist
Completion of the CFT application, enclosure of a copy of state license, or verification of licensure (license in good standing)
Graduation from a CACREP or COAMFTE Accredited Marriage and Family Counseling/Therapy Graduate Training Program
Completion of CFT application. Evidence of degree and transcripts. Two professional reference forms.
Clinical Membership in the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy
Completion of CFT application, copy of one’s Clinical membership in AAMFT, or verification of membership (member in good standing).
Nationally Certified Counselor (NCC) by the NBCC, Licensed Professional Counselor, Licensed Social Worker, or Licensed Psychologist
Completion of CFT application. Copy of licensure or certification, or verification of licensure certification. Transcripts and graduate and/or post-graduate coursework, workshops, or training verifying education/training in specific areas in marriage and family counseling/therapy. Post graduate employment/supervision verification in marriage and family counseling/therapy and two professional reference forms.
Graduate from a Master’s Program in Behavioral Sciences: Counseling, Counseling Psychology, Psychology, Social Work, Marriage and Family Studies, or Closely Related Area:
Completion of CFT application. Official transcripts, graduate and/or post graduate coursework, training/workshops verifying education/training in specific areas in marriage and family counseling/therapy. Post graduate employment/supervision verification in marriage and family counseling/therapy and two professional reference forms.
10. PROFESSIONAL CREDENTIALS VERIFICATION (Options 1, 2, & 3): Send electronic copies of your Certification from NCC, State Licensure(s), or AAMFT Clinical membership as an email attachment or enclosed with application if you choose to mail application.
11. PROFESSIONAL REFERENCES (Option 2 & 4): List the two persons from whom you shall request a Professional Reference Assessment Form. One reference MUST be from a current or former supervisor of your marriage and family counseling/therapy experience. The second reference may be from a trainer or professional colleague. Neither relatives nor clients may provide references. Reference Forms are confidential documents. The completed reference can be sent electronically to the National Credentialing Academy by email or mailed in a sealed envelope with the reference’s signature across the flap. Forms must be unopened/sealed if included with application materials.
12. PROFESSIONAL MARRIAGE AND FAMILY COUNSELING/THERAPY COURSEWORK AND EXPERIENCE (Option 4 only):
Enter your experiences beginning with the most recent on provided forms. Resumes are not suitable. Give your position title, the number of hours worked per week, and the number of years and months in that position. Provide a brief description of your duties. List your supervisor’s name and phone number. NCA reserves the right to request a more complete employment history if deemed necessary. If more space is needed, use this same format for additional information. Post-master’s marriage and family counseling/therapy experience under supervision can be fulfilled via one year of full-time experience or consecutive part-time experience totaling one year of full-time experience. Use the Experience Verification Form to document supervised experience. If more copies of this form are needed, you may make photocopies. Be sure to sign the top of the form before forwarding to your employer or supervisor. (download form: print or send as email attachment)
13. AFFIRMATION OF GOOD STANDING:
Mark the appropriate box for ALL questions. If any answer is yes, attach an explanation and if appropriate final decree.
14. CONFIRMATION AND RELEASE STATEMENT: Read the statement and check the box, or signed printed form.
15. COMPLETE PAYMENT BY CREDIT CARD or ENCLOSE CHECK PAYABLE TO NCA.
The certification fee is $180.00. If applicant does not meet certification requirements, a non-refundable $25.00 application-processing fee is assessed and the remaining fee will be returned to the applicant. Fee may be paid online by credit card, check or money order made out to the National Credentialing Academy or NCA.
THE NATIONAL CREDENTIALING ACADEMY
13566 CAMINO DE PLATA CT.
CORPUS CHRISTI, TX 78418